Speaking of British Newspapers
Hopefully I will be awake enough to watch it and will post any tips I find later.
Here are some hints I picked up from the webinar.
- Do an Advanced Search for general terms such as "immigration"or "immigrant ship" and tick "illistrated" and the year your ancestor travelled, you may find some interesting pictures.
- Take a look at the "Illustrated London News" of 22nd January 1949 for a comprehensive view of imigration through the last 100 years.
- Do a search for "emigration" and "immigration", "assisted emigration" , "assisted immigration" and "intending immigrants" around the year your ancestors traveled for advertisements for immigration.
- Do a search for the name of the ship your ancestor travelled on, you may find a passenger list. Also search for keyword (name of the ship) and surname. Narrow down your date range.
- The archives hold a newspaper called "Homeward mail from India, China and the East" . Handy if your ancestors were stationed there, and the newspaper includes lists of people arriving, departing, and BDM's