Michelangelo said : I'm still learning.
I'm going to go to a different system which combines the numbers and words and visual part of my brain. Ive realised I'm much more visual than I thought I was. I am addicted to site called pinterest.com and my son said to me - "but that's just a way of saving your favourites" How right he is! But I can find what I am looking for much easier, because there is a picture!
So here is the new system I am implementing.
- Each surname will have a folder, maybe a couple of surnames in some.
- The surname will go on the spine via a printed sticker - easy to pick up the right one.
- Surname means the maiden name for females. - this is an important distinction.
- Inside will be each person in an alphabetical order, according to the first name.
- I'm going to create a printed title page for each person with:
- Date of birth
- Photo or a phrase that helps recognise them (eg. Lived in Surrey)
- RIN number linked back to Legacy.
- Then in Legacy, I have created a 'Event' called 'FOLDER' - in the first line of the event, under 'DESCRIPTION' I put the surname folder the documents for this person are in. That way I can easily find the information on a person by looking in legacy, and be sure it is the right person by linking to the RIN number.