They came from far and wide to Australia
- A marriage certificate of the ancestor may state 'married with the permission of the Governor'. This indicates that one or both people were convicts.
- A death certificate may state 'prisoner of the Crown'.
- The person may be listed as a convict in population records such as musters and census records.
- You may stumble across some correspondence or online database that refers to your person as a convict.
- There may be a suspicion in the family that the person was a convict
Convict arrival dates in Australia
New South Wales (including Qld)
Moreton Bay (Queensland)
Tasmania (Van Diemen’s Land)